A congregational meeting to vote on nominees for Elder and Deacon will be Sunday, May 2, 2021. Click below to see letter from Pastor Adam as well as a link to information about each candidate. You can also view details on special service times for that day.
Click here for biographies.
Details for May 2 Services:
- First Worship Service 9:00-10:00 (This is 30 minutes earlier than normal. The 9:00 time is only for May 2, and the time for this service will go back to 9:30 on May 9)
- Congregational Meeting to elect officers: 10:15 – 10:45. The leadership has decided…
- The indoor meeting will be “masks recommended”
- The Multi-purpose room will be “masks required”
- Members can also participate under the Portico.
- Second Worship Service 11:00-12:00
Dear Church Family,
I want to take this opportunity to write to you about the process that Norm Latva (Elder Candidate) and Chris Simon (Deacon Candidate) went through to get to this point. As a Session, we take Paul’s statement in 1 Timothy 5:22 very seriously. It says, “Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands.” Given the Biblical commands about elders and deacons and the directives of our Book of Church Order, our Session agreed upon “Six Gates” that officer nominees must go through in order to be considered for election. Those six gates are:
- NOMINATION (Aug 2020): The Session reviews each man’s nomination that was submitted by a church member.
- INTERVIEW #1 (Sep 2020): Approved nominees are interviewed by a commission of the Session. That commission then recommends each man to move forward with training or not.
- TRAINING (Oct 2020 – Jan 2021): Approved nominees go through several weeks of training through our LEAD class. LEAD is devoted to teaching each man: The Offices and Roles of Elder and Deacon, Bible Content, Theology, Sacraments, Polity and the PCA, Shepherding, Practical Ministry, and the Means of Grace. Reading, listening, and video requirements are a part of this. LEAD is directed by the Senior Pastor and several other elder-trainers.
- EXAMS (Feb 2021): Written Exam and Oral Exam, which includes a conversation with each nominee’s wife. The training team of elders then recommend nominees to the Session.
- INTERVIEW #2 (Mar 2021): Approved nominees are interviewed again by the entire Session. The Session then recommends candidates to the congregation.
- CONGREGATIONAL VOTE (May 2021): Recommended candidates are given to to the congregation at least 30 days in advance, and the communing members of the congregation vote on each candidate in May.
As you can see, these men are at the last gate. The congregational meeting to vote on these candidates will be Sunday, May 2, 2021. Please know that each candidate received a unanimous recommendation from the LEAD training team of elders and also from the entire Session in this process. The Session is pleased to submit and recommend these candidates to you for election.
We also have five other nominees: James Barefoot (elder), Blair Burke (elder), Bill Hall (elder), Dave Emrich (deacon), Steve Scott (deacon). These men went through training years ago and are already ordained to their respective offices; however, our by-laws require these men to be re-nominated and re-elected since they have either just finished a sabbatical or have completed a term of service. Once again, the Session gives a unanimous recommendation for all five of these men to be re-elected to serve another three-year term.