The Power of Words
Proverbs 16:27, 12:18, 10:19, 12:25, 14:23, 29:19
- The Tongue is Small but Powerful
James 3:3-5 “If we put bits into the mouths of horses so that they obey us, we guide their whole bodies as well. Look at the ships also though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. So also, the tongue is a small member yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire!”
- Words can be Damaging or Healing
- Prov 16:27 A worthless man plots evil, and his speech is like a scorching fire.
- Prov 12:18 There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
- Prov 10:19 When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent.
- Prov 12:25 Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad.
- Ephesians 4:29 “Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that is may give grace to those who hear.”
- Colossians 4:6 “Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.”
- Words are not Substitutes for Actions or Hard Work.
Prov 14:23 In all toil there is profit, but mere talk tends only to poverty.
- Words Don’t Necessarily Show a Changed Heart.
Prov 29:19 By mere words a servant is not disciplined, for though he understands, he will not respond.
Pastor Adam Mumpower