Over the past several months, we have learned what Proverbs has to say about the way we live our lives in relationship to God and other people.
For example, as it relates to our relationship with God, we’ve heard sermons on fearing the Lord, the value of God’s wisdom, trusting the Lord, and being a good steward on what God has given us.
As it relates to our relationship with others, we’ve heard sermons on parenting, learning, haughty eyes, a lying tongue, murder, staying away from evil, sowing discord among brothers, adultery, the virtuous woman, friendship, and the power of words.
But what does the book of Proverbs have to say about the Attributes of God? Is this missing from this book? Certainly not! Today, we see God’s Attributes on Display in Proverbs. Look for these points and verses today:
Point 1: The Providence of God
- Proverbs 19:21 “Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand.”
- Proverbs 21:1 “The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will.”
Point 2: The Omnipresence of God
- Proverbs 15:3 “The eyes of the LORD are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good.”
Point 3: The Omniscience of God
- Proverbs 15:11 “Sheol and Abaddon lie open before the LORD; how much more the hearts of the children of man!”
- Proverbs 21:2 “Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the LORD weighs the heart.”
Point 4: The Justice of God
- Proverbs 24:12 “If you say, ‘Behold, we did not know this,’ does not he who weighs the heart perceive it Does not he who keeps watch over your soul know it, and will he not repay man according to his work?”
- Proverbs 11:21 “Be assured, an evil person will not go unpunished, but the offspring of the righteous will be delivered.”
Point 5: The Grace of God
- Proverbs 28:13 “Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy.”
- Proverbs 16:6a “By steadfast love and faithfulness iniquity is atoned for, and by the fear of the LORD one turns away from evil.”
Pastor Adam Mumpower